27th February 2019
Diet: Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Nut Free, Pescatarian, Soy Free, Vegan, Vegetarian
Serves: 5 pancakes
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 8 minutes
Total Time: 13 minutes
We go mad for pancakes here at ARDERE. We made these specialty apple and banana buckwheat pancakes with love (and healthy ingredients) to both nourish and delight.
Lets talk about the benefits:
- Eggs – we’ve used eggs in this recipe as a source of protein (this helps you stay fuller for longer and repair and rebuild bodily tissues). If you’re vegan or allergic to eggs, try swapping this out for a vegan protein powder of your choosing.
- Banana – fibre-rich, filling and a natural source of sugar. Banana adds thickness to the pancake mix and an array of nutrition, including potassium. Banana is also a great source of inulin fibre, which acts as a prebiotic to feed intestinal bacteria.
- Buckwheat flakes – a great alternative to oats and, as ARDERE always says, variety in the diet is key! Buckwheat is a pseudo-grain, which means that it is not technically a grain, it is actually a seed. Buckwheat is great for those with non-coeliac gluten sensitivity or coeliac disease, or those who are leading a paleo or grain-free lifestyle. Buckwheat is rich in manganese, copper, iron, phosphorus and magnesium.
- Cinnamon – cinnamon has been shown to help stabilise our blood sugar levels, so sprinkling this spice into our dishes is a great idea to help manage our metabolic health.
- Berries – blueberries and raspberries are a well-known source of anthocyanins, which is a powerful antioxidant. The blue and red pigment of these delicious berries is due to the anthocyanins, which is why colour is so important to consider when you are buying your fruits and veggies!
For the pancakes:
- 100g buckwheat flakes
- 4 eggs (if you are vegan opt for vanilla vegan protein powder instead)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 mashed banana
- 1 apple, quartered (without the seeds)
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp coconut yoghurt
- 1 tbsp dessicated coconut
- 1 handful of fresh blueberries
- 1 handful of fresh raspberries
- 1 tbsp of honey
- Blend the buckwheat flakes, eggs, cinnamon, mashed banana and sliced apple in a food processor.
- Now heat the coconut oil on a medium heat in a non-stick frying pan. Let the oil spread out evenly in the pan.
- Once the pan is hot, pour 1 ladle of the pancake mixture and move the pan around in a circular motion until you have your desired thickness. Tip: if you like to create thick American-style pancakes like I do, use a medium-sized circular cookie cutter tool and pour in 1 ladle of the mixture inside the cutter. Wait 20 seconds and then remove the cutter.
- Cook for 4 minutes before carefully flipping over and finishing off the other side for another 3-4 minutes. Reduce the heat if it gets too hot. Remove from the heat once the pancake is golden and brown.
- Repeat this process for however many pancakes you would like to cook.
- Now it’s time to dress this pancake to deliciousness! Go wild and add your favourite healthy toppings, whatever takes your fancy. I like to add desiccated coconut, blueberries, blackberries, coconut yoghurt and honey to mine. The choice is entirely yours!
GREEN FIG & HEDGEROW BLACKBERRY
UpliftingRated 5.00 out of 5£49.00 Add to basketMore details
WOODLAND MOSS & AMBER
GroundingRated 5.00 out of 5£49.00 Add to basketMore details
LAVENDER & CARROT SEED
SoothingRated 5.00 out of 5£49.00 Add to basketMore details
Chat with the Sisters
More to Explore in Breakfast & Brunch
Sign up to our newsletter
For exclusive offers, recipes, our latest events and wellness tips on how to get the ARDERE glow!